Saturday, July 7, 2012

Classroom Management and Technology

Great news!  :-)

I just found ANOTHER really cool Web 2.0 tool.  I'm so excited about it, I'm definitely using it next year, and I just have to share.  It's called Class Dojo.  As always, I'm getting nothing but my own satisfaction by mentioning this resource. 



It's not the best picture, but please look beyond that (I got it from Google Images) and check out this resource.  Of course, like all truly fantastic teacher tools, this is a FREE resource.  It is very easy to use.  You simply create an account, create a class, and add your students.  You can give each of them a cute little monster avatar, or you can upload your own.  I think it would work great with student pictures (with appropriate permission, of course).  You can create your own positive and negative behaviors (or choose from theirs).  After you have done all of that, you are ready to go!  You can leave this up on your interactive whiteboard and award and deduct points very easily all day long.  I know that I will use this resource next year (because, let's face it, it's SO FUN for both teachers and students).  Of course, I think for it to work, it needs to be tied to something tangible.  I plan to revamp my incentives this year (especially now that I know about Class Dojo!!!  I also really like the name of this resource, by the way.), so right now I'm thinking of giving a student a job of distributing tickets that correspond with student points at the end of each day.  The students can then redeem their tickets each Friday for small prizes or other rewards (sit by a friend at lunch, eat with the teacher, etc.). 

This will also work in conjunction with the rules that all of my teammates use.  We create a behavior calendar and as we observe any second grader not following one of the four rules, we simply note the number and write our initials to record which teacher noticed the infraction.  For those of you that are wondering, our rules are: 

  1. Follow directions.
  2. Respect all people and their property
  3. Use self-control
  4. Use time wisely.
As I notice one of my students (or if another teacher does) not following a rule, I will deduct one point from Class Dojo.  I anticipate this being highly motivating for my students. 

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this cool Web 2.0 tool as much as I know I will!  :-)  Will you try out this resource next year?  What does your classroom management currently look like?   

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I used this tool last year and it was phenomenal! At first I was giving the points either on the smart board or with my iPod. The iPod use was great because I could give points at the bathroom or walking to specials, etc. After awhile, I let the kids do the points themselves when I gave points. They loved that and if points were being taken away, it was more effective when they did that themselves, too. The best part was the tangible reward. Mine went like this:

10 points = sticker box
20 points = special pencil
30 points = special chair
40 points = choose your own avatar
50 points = lunch with teacher
60 points = sit with a friend

You'll notice that most of my rewards were free to me. They LOVED special chair which was simply one of my teacher chairs and lunch with teacher was popular too. We erased the points and started fresh every month. Definitely give it a try. You will be very happy with the results!
Dianne
Hopelesslydevotedtoteaching.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm following you now too:)

Tammy
1...2...3...Teach With Me

Teach It Today said...

Hi Molly!

Thanks for visiting my blog. I just found class dojo and want to use it next year. We will see how it goes! Your blog is great and I love finding second grade teachers. Hopedfully we can link up in the future!

Heather at TeachItToday!

Unknown said...

We used this last year and our kiddos loved it! We just found you and are now following. Stop by sometime!
Katie & Lisen
wearesecondgradesmartypants.blogspot.com

Ms. Moriconi said...

Wow! I can't wait to check it out! I'm glad I found your blog!I follow you now!

Jeannine
First Grade Gallery~Lessons for Little Learners

Mrs. Kenyon said...

Thank you for sharing this tool! I am giving you another award because you deserve it!!! I am sharing this award with newbie 2nd grade bloggers. Stop by to pick it up! I will have it posted in about 15 min.
Amy
Where Seconds Count 2nd grade blog

YearntoLearn said...

I've seen and heard so much about DOJO lately. I guess I'm going to have to look into it.
New follower here...Stop on by. I'm having a giveaway right now.


Yearn to Learn Blog

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...